Watch the video
Becoming a beekeeper is not an easy task, requiringtheoretical preparation and material investments. But the financial costs can be slightly reduced by catching, not buying, a swarm of bees. The article outlines the main recommendations for how to catch a swarm of bees.
The easiest way to catch bees is to make a trap out of a large cardboard box.
- cardboard box;
- framework for cells.
- We glue a box with a width of 30 cm, a height of 49 cm and a length of at least 30 cm.
- We nail two slats for the frames, from above put the canvas with propolis.
- In the front part of the box we cut out the tray.
- We put 5-7 frames into our trap. In principle, the number of frames can be any, but it is proved by experience that the average bee swarm occupies a space equal to 6 frames. Therefore, if the framework is small, the swarm may not want to settle in such a cramped cottage. And more is an unreasonable waste of materials and equipment. Not all frames should be with ready-made honeycombs. It is quite enough 1-2.
- We fix the cover with adhesive tape and you can start installing it.
The obvious plus of this method is extremeeconomy. He also has a huge flaw: the first rain will turn your trap into a piece of crumpled cardboard. In this case, better consider the second way, how to catch a swarm of bees trapped.
We will be catching bees on the same principle, butWe make a trap from plywood. Of course, it is quite possible to use boards, chipboard for this purpose. However, with this construction it will be necessary to climb the tree to a height of 4-6 meters. Therefore plywood, thickness 4-5 mm, is ideal for our purposes.
- a hammer;
- framework for cells;
- a stapler.
- The dimensions of the finished box will be approximately the same as in the first version.
- In the front panel, cut out the tray and nail a small bar. It will be a "threshold" for bees.
- Using a furniture stapler or nails, we nail the front and back parts, as well as the bars for the frames.
- To the resulting design, attach the side walls.
- The roof should be slightly larger than the bottom.
- We set the framework, cover them with a canvas with propolis. 1-2 of them must necessarily be with honeycombs.
- On the inside of the roof, we nail two slats so that it snugly "sits" in the hive.
How now, in our trap, to catch a swarm of bees? There is no answer to this question, which would guarantee success. You set the trap on a tree and check it every 10 days. To increase your chances, make 2-3 pitfalls and consider some recommendations for their installation.
- It is easiest to catch bees in forests locatedbetween settlements in which there are already apiaries. The fact is that bees sometimes "run away" from their owners and decide to live an independent life. Here your trap will be very handy.
- The place for installation should be dry, near the clearing or glade.
- Height does not play a special role, but if there is a chance that someone from
local residents will borrow it, better hang up.
- A trap is attached to the tree with a rope.
- Try to set traps until the end of May. It is in May that the first swarming is observed in bees. And the more swarms fall into the period when your traps are installed, the more chances to catch a swarm, grow a full family from it and get your first honey in the summer.
That's all the basic tips on how to catch bees. If you still have unclear moments how to catch a swarm of bees, review the training video.