The program refers to some sequence of activities or actions, as well as a preliminary description of upcoming events.
The meanings of the term "program"
There are several meanings of this term, depending on the sphere in which the word "program" is used. For example:
- A television program is a schedule of TV programs or a video sequence proper, dedicated to a certain topic and united by some integrity;
- A curriculum is a document that wasIt is created within the framework of a specific educational institution with the aim of systematizing the content and quantity of knowledge, skills and abilities required for mastering by students;
- The pre-election program is a document with theses of a politician or party during the election campaign;
- The research program is a systematized presentation of the theoretical and methodological prerequisites, the overall concept of the research project in accordance with the main goals and objectives of the project;
- A computer program is a sequence of instructions designed to be executed by a computer control device.
In this article, we will take a closer look at what a program is in terms of computer technology.
Types of computer programs
Every modern computer is filled with hugenumber of programs. Even a computer with a newly installed operating system has a number of mandatory programs. To understand all this diversity, let's try to divide the computer programs into views.
- BIOS (Base Input-Output System - basic systemI / O) is a program that starts when you start or restart the computer. Its main task is to check the availability and operability of all connected devices (hard drive, keyboard, processor, memory).
- The operating system is another fundamentalA program that manages the entire operation of your computer. To date, there are several most popular operating systems on which the vast majority of computers work. These include: Windows, Linux (and other systems based on Unix), MacOS. The tasks of any operating system include:
- memory allocation between programs;
- control the sequence of the system programs;
- Query Processing;
- providing an interface with hardware;
- providing access to files, etc.
- Application programs are those programs that,in the first place, they are interested in the user. They are designed for storing, editing and processing various kinds of data (in textual form, in photo or video format, etc.). With one of the types of applications, the application, you can learn more about the article: What is an application. For convenience of consideration, application programs can also be divided into subspecies such as:
- Office programs, which are used mainly to work with text format data;
- financial or accounting programs that are designed to work with financial documents;
- Game programs that are designed for entertainment and learning purposes.
- Utilities are a variety of programs that haveauxiliary function. With their help you can increase the efficiency of your computer. As an example, you can consider such programs as: archiver, defragmenter, antivirus, debugger, etc.
- Drivers can also be assigned to the genusauxiliary programs, as they control the connection to the computer of all devices. Thus, when you connect each new device, your computer installs a new driver into the operating system.
- The development environment is a special category of programs,which are used by programmers and designers to create new programs, websites, interactive films and presentations. This article is also devoted to the article of our site: How to create a program. If you decide to create the program yourself, you will have to learn more about the types of programs, such as: translators, compilers and interpreters.
Commercial status of programs
There is another, fundamentally different classificationcomputer programs. It is related to the way programs are distributed and the conditions that the developer requires when they are allowed to use his software. Depending on this program, there may be:
Can be downloaded without investing any funds.
Such programs are presented in cut-down versions or full-featured versions, but for a certain period of time of use or for a limited number of launches.
The use of such programs occurs on a free basis due to the fact that the program itself has an advertising banner of the firm that pays for the use of this software.
Those. fully paid.
The types of programs listed here are basic and most common.
If you have any questions about the software, then you can refer to a section of our site, such as: Working with programs.