Currently there is a global developmentinformation technologies, the amount of information available to each user increases, and over time, there is a need to transfer their data from one computer to another. The reasons for this may be different:
- storage of information on a new hard drive due to the natural wear and tear of the old one;
- Transferring information from a disk with a smaller volume to a larger disk;
- solving PC problems due to the impossibility of their elimination on the working hard disk.
Before you connect to the hard drive,you need to determine what kind of HDD you have (hard disc drive, it's also a hard drive, it's also hard). Currently, almost everywhere you use SATA HDD, but there are (usually for laptops) IDE HDD. Distinguishing the interfaces of hard drives is very simple: the IDE connector is a set of metal contacts (40 in all), SATA has only 7.
If one hard - with the IDE, and the second - with SATA, then you need an IDE-SATA adapter, which you can buy in each computer store for 200-300 rubles. So, let's start the connection:
- First of all, we disconnect the PC and remove the side cover of the system unit. It is recommended to attach the HDD from the laptop so that it does not hang in the air.
- We monitor which connector (controller) of the motherboard is connected to the hard drive of a stationary computer. For IDE HDD, as a rule, connection to Master, for SATA HDD - to SATA.
- Find where the connection to the PSU (power supply) is going.
- We connect the hard disk (the narrow sideadapter) of the laptop with the motherboard (wide side of the adapter) of the stationary PC via the adapter and connect the second connector of the cable to the output of the power supply unit in the same way as the connected hard disk of your PC. For IDE, it is recommended to use SLAVE.
- After a reliable connection, you can turn on the computer power.
- When the PC is booted, it is necessary to enter the BIOS (press the F2 button) - specify the bootable HDD (the one that is installed on the desktop computer) so that the OS boots as usual.
- Save (F10) and exit (Esc, Y, Enter). Downloading the OS will continue automatically.
- You may need to restart the computer after the download to configure the system.
If both computers have a hard drive with a SATA interface, then everything is simple: we connect the hard drive from the laptop to the PC motherboard via the available connector in the same way as described above.
Using an external housing
In addition to the IDE-SATA adapter connect a hardthe drive to the computer can be accessed via an external enclosure. HDD from the laptop is placed in the "container" and through the USB-interface connects to the PC. This method is simpler and more convenient, but it is slightly more expensive in terms of money and has a lower information exchange rate.
After finishing work with an external hard drive, do not forget to safely remove it from your computer, so as not to disable it.
Depending on the situation, you can use any of the above methods, having minimal knowledge of the device of any computer.