The ability to format hard drives from time to timetime is necessary for every user of a personal computer. However, not many people know that you can format the hard disk in Windows 7 in different ways.
Windows native tools
If you need to quickly format the hard drive in Windows 7 only to make room, then you can use the standard tools of the operating system itself. For this:
- On the desktop, double-click on the "Computer" icon;
- click on that part of the hard drive that needs to be formatted;
- press the right mouse button;
- choose the item "Format ..." in the appeared menu;
- do not change any parameters in the opened window;
- click on "Start";
- we confirm our intentions in a pop-up warning.
Time of the task depends on the volume of thedisk, the technical characteristics of the computer and the number of running programs. At the end of the process, the system notifies the user of the corresponding message.
Windows Command Line
You can format the hard drive without using the GUI. For this:
- open the "Start" menu;
- in the field "Find programs and files" write "cmd";
- press the "Enter" key on the keyboard;
- in the opened command window write "format / FS: NTFS XXX: / q" (instead of XXX, you need to put the letter of the disk that you want to format);
- press the "Enter" key on the keyboard.
Acronis Disk Director
Unfortunately, the standard formatting in Windows can allow errors during the execution. This can be avoided if you use professional programs to work with hard disks.
One of the best programs in this regard is theAcronis Disk Director. In it you can both format hard disks, and it is very convenient to manage the partitions on it. Download Acronis Disk Director here.
To qualitatively format a disk in Windows 7 with this program you need:
- find Acronis Disk Director in the "All Programs" folder of the "Start" menu and start it;
- Click on the program's desktop on the hard disk partition to work with;
- select "Format" in the left pane of the program;
- set the necessary parameters (leave as is for the format in NTFS);
- click the "OK" button.
For other ways of formatting a hard disk, you can find out in our articles:
- How to format an external hard drive
- How to format a hard disk
- How to format a hard disk via BIOS